2010 Ride for the Cure / Roule pour la vie

Fifty-two Novartis Canada employees are cycling 600km from Toronto to Montreal Sept 25-28, 2010 to raise awareness & money for breast cancer research. This website shares the team’s preparation & stories from the road. Cette année, 52 employés de Novartis Canada parcourront à vélo les 600km qui séparent Toronto de Montréal, du 25 au 28 septembre, pour recueillir des fonds pour la recherche sur le cancer du sein. Ce site Web diffusera leur histoires du voyage.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

No Dampening Our Spirits: The Final Leg

Last night in Cornwall was simply incredible. The team was on a bit of a high from having traveled 200 km on our bikes. What a dedicated bunch. The trip from Kingston to Cornwall was really just 180 km. Everyone chose to turn around and do 10 kms into the wind and return the additional 10 kms so that they could claim that double metric century as an accomplishment. The ultimate accomplishment hoever is the completion of the ride!

The day started out wet as we ran into our first bad weather. Luckily the wind was still at our backs. Although the day was wet, it did not dampen our spirits. We all simply donned our foul weather gear and pressed on. The ride went very well until we reached the rough roads of Quebec. On one particularly deep pothole, one of our most talented riders went down hard. While he wanted to continue, it soon became obvious that he would not be able to finish. I feel very sorry for him, because his spirit and talent was an inpiration for me and helped to make me a better rider. His abilities and willingness to lead our pack made this ride a great deal easier than expected. I know he will be riding with us again.

After the incident we had to regroup our spirit and ride on. We managed to do this in time for the arrival in Dorval. Seeing the last day riders for the first time was a huge boost. Their energy and jubilation in seeing us arriving in Pointe Clair was a great taste of what was yet to come.

I had the priveledge of leading the pack through much of Pointe Clair and Dorval. When looking back on the group, now much larger than before, I realized how much support this ride has. I am quite certain that most riders will be back for next year and there will likely be more on the full ride.

The arrival at the office was full of surprizes. The number of people out this year had grown from last year. Their enthusiasm was a huge rush for all of us. As I rode up toward the office, I knew I would find my wife Diana and two girls Ashley and Nicole waiting for me. What didn't expect was the look of sheer excitement and pleasure on the faces of my family. I went to them directly and gave each of them a big kiss and a hug. I then turned to see the mass of people and my Training Team standing out in the group. I thank each of them for being there, it made the arrival very special.

Finally, I need to thank an incredible group of people who made this event possible and made it much more pleasurable than I could have imagined when I started my training for this ride. Henry, Ian, Jeff, Alain, Jean-Charles, Andre, Philippe, Manon, Sarah, George, Jason, Les, Francois, Marie-Josee, Thorsten, and Annie. And of course, I also want to thank two people who dedicated as much time and effort as the riders, in fact they made the whole ride easier and brightened our days with their support and enthusiasm: Claudine and Marie-Josee!

What a great team!!!

See you all next year!!!

Steve
 
Site Meter