2010 Ride for the Cure / Roule pour la vie

Fifty-two Novartis Canada employees are cycling 600km from Toronto to Montreal Sept 25-28, 2010 to raise awareness & money for breast cancer research. This website shares the team’s preparation & stories from the road. Cette année, 52 employés de Novartis Canada parcourront à vélo les 600km qui séparent Toronto de Montréal, du 25 au 28 septembre, pour recueillir des fonds pour la recherche sur le cancer du sein. Ce site Web diffusera leur histoires du voyage.

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Reflections on the ride from Ian

What can you say about the trip of a lifetime? So much has changed for all the people who were involved in this endeavour. We were all amazed at the generosity of others on the ride, and in particular the people who fully sponsored us before we even started on this ride. I would like to thank everyone who supported us in the endeavour; however, I know that I cannot do this appropriately; I cannot thank you enough for your support.

What did I learn on this ride? I was amazed by how people can come together and become such close friends in only 3 days. I learned that many of the things holding us back from going for our dream are our own internal fears. Three weeks ago when I was approached to join this team my biggest fear was the 200 km day. I did not know if I could ever ride this far. This was 80 Km farther than I had ever ridden in one day before and I almost dropped out of the ride for this reason alone. I would like to thank Alain for pushing me forward and making me commit to do this ride. It has been a once in a life time achievement.

What is sore? Besides the obvious; my feet. I learned that I have “rider’s hot foot”. This is a condition that affects many riders once they pass the 80 km mark. For those of you who have experienced “hot foot” you know the pain. For the rest it can only be described as unbelievable. It is like holding a lighter to your feet. As we did 130 to 200 Kms a day I suffered this pain every day of the ride and on two occasions I needed to get off my bike to rest my feet to let the pain subside. I know it is nothing like the pain of the patients we rode for, however, I learned that if there is a will to do something there is always a way, and the pain will not stop you!!

For those of you who asked me “how did you do it”, and “I could not do this” remember, I was one of you three weeks ago. If you have dreams then “go for it" and have fun doing it.

I would like to thank Alain, Jeff, Claudine, Anne, Henry, and Jason for making this ride a truly enjoyable experience, and more importantly for the friendship that developed along the way.

Ian
 
Site Meter